WLVL Local News: WLVL-SAT HEADLINES

Posted: November 29, 2025 - 3:55am CST

Some of those strong winds, up to 50 miles per hour or more in terms of the gusts, which whipped through the area with the snowstorms, caused some tree damage in the City of Buffalo and that’s why tree removal crews were out again on the day after Thanksgiving. Neighbors in a Porter-area community say they are devastated and angry after discovering that a large tree containing a long-established bald eagle nest was cut down earlier this month. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service confirms it has opened a criminal investigation into how and why the tree was removed. Western New York’s largest holiday light show is back for its 21st season, with more sparkle than ever before. The Fairgrounds Festival of Lights returned Friday to The Fairgrounds in Hamburg with new displays, expanded attractions, and flexible ticketing to help guests plan their holiday visits.The festival runs on select dates from Nov. 28 through Dec. 30,

WQBE News: Man arrested for damaged celltower

Posted: November 29, 2025 - 3:53am CST

An arrest was made Wednesday following the report of theft at a Raleigh County cell tower. According to a social media post from the Raleigh County Sheriff’s Office, Russell Ray Hoffmeyer, 49, is facing the following charges: Grand larceny, Obstruction, Fleeting, Damage to public utility property,Entry of a building other than a dwelling, Illegal burning of solid waste,Violating the Critical Infrastructure Protection Act. The post said deputies responded to a telecommunications tower in the Harper Heights area, collected evidence and identified Hoffmeyer as a suspect. Hoffmeyer is being held at Southern Regional Jail on a $50,000 surety/cash bail.

WQBE News: Missing teenager

Posted: November 29, 2025 - 3:52am CST

The Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in locating a teenager who was reported missing. Shelby Good, 16, of Kanawha County, was last seen in the Sissonville area of the county, according to a press release from the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office. Good was reported missing on Friday and deputies said she is not believed to be in any danger at this time. Anyone with any possible information on Good’s whereabouts are encouraged to call the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office at 304-357-0169.

WQBE News: Law enforcement responded to Sen Capito’s Charleston residence after a comncerning post was made

Posted: November 29, 2025 - 3:51am CST

Police responded to U.S. Sen. Shelley Moore Capito’s private residence Thursday following a suspicious online comment, a spokesperson said.The spokesperson for Capito said a comment online referencing the senator’s Charleston residence prompted the response. Details of the comment were not provided. “There was no incident, but out of an abundance of caution, the Charleston Police Department, Kanawha County Sheriffs and Deputies, and the U.S. Capitol Police acted quickly to evaluate the situation,” communications director Kelley Moore said. “We are grateful for the diligence, professionalism, and swift response of our local and federal law enforcement- especially on a holiday. Charleston police are handling the investigation.

WQBE News: Judge rules on vaccines and religious exemptions

Posted: November 29, 2025 - 3:49am CST

Raleigh County Judge Michael Froble’s Wednesday ruling may not have as wide-ranging of an impact as first thought. Froble granted a permanent injunction for Raleigh County plaintiffs seeking a religious exemption to school vaccination requirements and created a certified class of families with religious vaccine exemptions statewide. He ruled the Equal Protection for Religion Act trumped the compulsory vaccine law The state school board – which had refused to follow an executive order from the governor to grant religious exemptions – then suspended its policy of requiring county school boards to follow the compulsory vaccination law. But Corey Palumbo, the lawyer for Raleigh County Schools, said this doesn’t mean that every county board has to grant religious exemptions.

WQBE News: Shooter now faces one first degree murder charge

Posted: November 29, 2025 - 3:48am CST

Charges against the man accused of shooting two National Guard members have been upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the soldiers died, the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia announced Friday. Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24 were hospitalized in critical condition after the Wednesday afternoon shooting. Gov Pat Morrisey announced Thursday that Beckstrom had died. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro’s office said the charges against Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national who worked with the CIA during the Afghanistan War, now include one count of first-degree murder, three counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence and two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed.

WLVL Local News: 11-28-25 PM Headlines

Posted: November 28, 2025 - 1:08pm CST

The legal battle between the City of Buffalo and the owner of two charred buildings in the Cobblestone District continues. The Supreme Court of the State of New York’s Appellate Division, Fourth Judicial Department has sided with the buildings’ owner, Darryl Carr, allowing him to move forward with his lawsuit.

The 42nd annual fund drive for the Lockport soup kitchen gets underway today. Despite rising costs, this year’s goal is the same as last year’s: $50,000. That’s an attainable goal, Salvation Army Advisory Board chair Brendan Conley observed — the 2024 drive hit the mark whereas the 2023 drive, which had a significantly bigger goal, didn’t come close.

Lockport businesses are gearing up for Small Business Saturday, offering a wide range of products and customer appreciation specials. The holiday shopping event has become intertwined with promotions to buy locally and support downtowns. Last year, spending on Small Business Saturday reached nearly $22 billion.

Due to cold weather, Code Blue continues in Lockport through the weekend. Any homeless person or individual without heat can go to the Salvation Army directly between the hours of 8pm – 10pm, if after 10 pm, please report to the walk-up window at the Niagara Street entrance of Lockport Police Department where they will assist individuals seeking shelter.

WLVL Local News: 11-28-25 Midday Headlines

Posted: November 28, 2025 - 12:19pm CST

After last season’s supplier shortage, the City of Buffalo is taking steps to ensure it has more than enough rock salt this winter. Offcials say they have 18 thousand tons on order.

People Inc. is partnering with Niagara Area Habitat for Humanity to build an accessible, single-family home in the Village of Youngstown. Niagara Area Habitat for Humanity will manage planning and construction, while People Inc. will cover project costs

A Virginia man was arrested on Nov. 18 at the Lewiston Bridge border crossing after it was discovered that he was wanted on a felony aggravated assault warrant out of Fairfax County, Virginia. 62-year-old Nejat Assad was returning to the United States following a trip to Canada.

AAA is urging travelers to prepare for potentially significant delays on the return trip home, warning that Sunday and Monday are expected to be the busiest travel days of the holiday period as people head back for work and school.

Copies of the free 2026 Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor calendar will be available for pickup at local libraries and visitor centers beginning Monday at Erie Canal Discovery Center in Lockport, the North Tonawanda History Museum, and the public libraries in Lockport, Middleport, Medina, Albion and North Tonawanda.

WOND News: State Utility Rules

Posted: November 28, 2025 - 11:32am CST

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has issued an order directing the Atlantic City Municipal Utilities Authority to comply with federal lead and copper rules.An investigation by the agency found violations of federal and state drinking water requirements, which include inadequate tap water sampling practices, the EPA said Wednesday in a news release.

WOND News: Margate Street Redesigned

Posted: November 28, 2025 - 11:32am CST

Margate is moving ahead with a significant redesign of Washington Avenue, which will include numerous improvements and converting the road to a one-way pattern flowing from the beach to the bay.According to the Press of Atlantic City the $3.5 million project will create a continuous one-way corridor running from Atlantic Avenue to Amherst Avenue. City officials say the move is aimed at improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists while creating a more attractive streetscape linking two key business districts.